Thursday, October 6, 2011

Are women becoming selfish?


SO, I was watching Today Tonight last night, with a segment on women being selfish in todays world. 'They' say we are having babies later in life because we are too career driven...selfish. 


I've thought about this since watching the show. I fell pregnant with my first at the age of 19. He wasn't a planned pregnancy and it came as a bit of a shock. By 20 I was a mother to a very demanding baby, and I think that was more of a shock than the pregnancy itself. I went on to have my second child at 22. She was planned because I figured if I had one, I may as well have another, and have them close together. Everyone tells you that the closer they are the better, to 'get them out of the way' so to speak. 


I've talked to my daughter, now 15, about my views on being a younger mother. When all my friends were out travelling, partying, wondering what to wear, I was at home with puke all over me and washing the cloth nappies {they don't seem to use them anymore} with Lux Flakes, because babies have sensitive skin. Trying to get sleep, breastfeeding on demand....you get the drift. 


But, right now I wouldn't like my daughter to be pregnant at 19 with a baby at 20. I say late 20's to her, if she is settled and has the right partner, but to life her life and be content enough to bring another person into the would. Its one of the toughest jobs I've had to do in my life.

A pro to having my kids so young is that my son is now 18 and my daughter is almost 16, with me just turning 38, so by the time my daughter is 18 and they're both making their way into adulthood and leaving the nest, I'm still young enough to travel, and have some freedom while still young. That is one of the benefits of having babies so young.

I wouldn't send them back for the world, I love them with all my heart, and they put sunshine into most of my days {well, come on they are teenagers} but if I did have my time over again. I would have waited a little longer than 19. To. Be. Honest.

Thats my rant for the week

No comments:

Post a Comment